Judge David Lynn
"April 11, 1835 , at Rose Hill, near Cumberland, in the 78th year of his age, David Lynn, an officer of the Revolution passed away. At the close of the Revolution he removed from his native county, Montgomery to Allegany. While but a youth, and shortly after the commencement of the war, he entered the army, and bore a commission first as a lieutenant, and soon afterwards as a captain, in the Continental service. He served throughout the war, and was present at Monmouth, Germantown, and other battles, and at the surrender of Cornwallis. David and his brother John were original members of the Society of Cincinnati. The two brothers helped form the Society along with George Washington who served as the first President General of the Society.
His brother, John Lynn also entered the Continental service at an early age. He was made Lieutenant of the First Maryland Regiment, and served with distinction throughout the entire war. He is generally referred to as Colonel John Lynn and that is the title inscribed on his tombstone in Mount Olivet cemetery in Frederick. Gen. George Washington was entertained at his house on a visit to Cumberland and spoke of him as Major Lynn which title was conferred upon him in the spring of 1790 by Gov. Howard of Maryland.
Shortly after the close of the American Revolution, Captain David Lynn and brother John both located in Cumberland, Maryland and the latter became the first clerk of the Circuit Court for Allegany County, serving from 1790 until 1801, when he removed from his Cumberland residence on the northwest corner of Washington and Prospect streets on Lot No. 66 the deed for which it is worthy of note being the first deed recorded after Allegany County became erected. Major Lynn was in the Legislature of Maryland as a representative from Washington when Allegany County was erected in 1789. He married Miss Eleanor Edelyn and two years before his death moved to his estate known as Wild Cherrytree Meadows at McHenry, then in Allegany Co. but now in Garrett Co.
Captain David Lynn represented Allegany County in the General Assembly of Maryland in 1794 and 1795 and was one of the three Commissioners appointed by the State for the apportionment of the Military Lots Westward of Fort Cumberland given by the State as a bounty to the officers and privates of the Maryland Line. This was a work involving much energy and care and his ponderous private record of the proceedings of the Commission now in the office of the County Commissioners of Allegany County and believed to be the only one of the three private records extant is remarkable for the neat, legible and orderly manner in which it was kept and which would indicate that he was a draughtsman of unusual ability.
The Lynn family’s long line of descendents in its turn left a large lineage standing today for the best traditions and ideals in this and in other communities in which they dwell of a most worthy and patriotic ancestry among them the Lynn, Henderson, Magruder, Robbins, Johns, Schley, Tilghman, Moss, and Bowie families. (Information taken from "THE HISTORY OF WESTERN MARYLAND")
Apparently, according to some historians, the Lynn family and
George Washington were good friends. It is said that George Washington
became a surveyor due to the influence of the Judge David Lynn. There are
several references including this plaque in Cumberland to his visits to both
Capt. David Lynn's home and Col. John Lynn's home. Washington's visit to Major John Lynn's home was mention in the George Washington Diaries.