Judge David Lynn
Website
Your Subtitle text

Rose Hill Cemetary



Across The Desk 6-3-1951 J. WILLIAM HUNT (Excerpt from Cumberland Evening Times)

  • Rose Hill Cemetery, A Century Old This Year, Grew From A Four Acre Donation Of Land By  Mary Galloway Lynn

  • Imposing Monuments Vie With Unmarked Graves Of Notable People, Including Grandparents Of Mrs. U. S. Grant

  • Approximately 40,000 Buried There.

Two women gave most of the land that today comprises Rose Hill Cemetery which was formally opened as a burial place just a century ago.

High on the hill that tops the rolling ground that rises from Fayette street to Allegany High School is the grave of Mrs. Mary Galloway Lynn, daughter of Joseph Galloway and wife of Capt. David Lynn of the Revolutionary Army.

Recorded on her tombstone beneath the dates of birth and death is the fact that the ground for Rose Hill Cemetery was a gift from her to Emmanuel Episcopal Church. The original plot was slightly over four acres.

Rose Hill was enlarged by a gift from Mrs. Anna B. Tilghman, wife of George. Tilghman (born· 1807, died 1882) and has been further increased to its present nearly 12 acres through purchases of land and by smaller gifts.

Two sides of the city's largest cemetery were bounded by streets named in honor of the two main benefactors- Mrs. Lynn and Mrs. Tilghman. Lynn Street has disappeared, however. When the board of education bought the site of Allegany High School it was arranged to close Lynn Street as a public thoroughfare and it is now an alley owned by the county as part of the high school property: Tilghman Street, however, leading from Fayette street up to Sedgwick street is more heavily traveled than ever as a direct access route to Allegany High School.

The name of the Emmanuel Episcopal Cemetery came about naturally. The old Lynn home, now owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. James Alfred Avirett, was always known as Rose Hill. And Mrs. Lynn wanted her body in death to rest in Rose Hill. She died in 1853 and was one of the first persons buried in the ground she had given for a burial plot.

Capt. David Lynn, ancestor of the present Architect of the U. S. Capitol, Washington, (a namesake) died at his Rose Hill estate in 1834. His body was later moved to the Rose Hill Cemetery alongside that of his widow, the donor of the original land. His tombstone records that he was born in Frederick County July 15 1758. All of Allegany, Washington and Garrett counties were then a part of Frederick. He enlisted in the Continental Army under Washington when 18, and served six years and six months fighting for American Independence. He was commissioned a Captain in 1779 when only 21. His wife was born at West River a tributary of Chesapeake Bay, July 10, 1774 and as mentioned before, died at her Rose Hill home in 1853.

Rose Hill was chartered as a cemetery October 1. 1851. The oldest stone in the cemetery is that of Hanson Pigman who died in 1813. His body was buried originally in the Hook graveyard and moved (with the original tombstone) to Rose Hill when the Hook burying ground was abandoned.

The man who founded Cumberland, Thomas Beall of Samuel (born 1744, died 1823) is buried in Rose Hill, and there also is the grave of Will H. Lowdermilk, who wrote the "History of Cumberland" (published in 1878) and founded a bookstore in Washington that is still operating under the Lowdermilk name and the ownership of his daughter.

Not far apart are the graves of Col. William Lamar, Revolutionary War hero (who died in 1838 at the age of 83); Thomas Leiper Patterson (1816-1905), and a man who combined both their names (Lamar Patterson) whose death occurred in the current year!

An Imposing monument marks the grave of Cumberland's only occupant of the Maryland gubernatorial office, Lloyd Lowndes. Another imposing shaft rises above the grave of this city's only U. S. Senator, George L. Wellington.

In one of two McKaig plots lies the body of John Van Lear McMahon who wrote the first railroad charter-that of the Baltimore and Ohio. Not far away is the memorial to Dr. Charles H. Ohr, for whom one of the local Masonic lodges is named.

The full Story of the unmarked graves of the grandparents of Mrs. U. S. Grant, the nation's First Lady from 1869 to 1877 would take more space than is available today. George Dent and Susannah Marberry Dent were the parents of Frederick Dent, said to be the first white child born in Cumberland. Frederick Dent's daughter Nelly became the wife of Ulysses S. Grant, and her Cumberland .born father died in the While House while Grant was president. He was not buried here but his parents lie in unmarked graves in the older part of Rose Hill Cemetery,

Mrs. Grant intended to have a tombstone erected on their graves, as is attested in a letter from her to Gov. Lowndes.-the letter still reposing in the files of the superintendent’s office at. Rose Hill. Gov. Lowndes evidently turned the letter over to the cemetery superintendent for action, but there is no further evidence of Interest-and the graves are still unmarked. There is a deed in Mrs. Grant's name, however, recording her ownership of Lot 28, Area 44, in Rose Hill Cemetery of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Cumberland, Maryland!

Another unmarked grave is that of one of America's greatest playwrights-George V. Hobart. Author of the book and lyrics for most of the Ziegfield Follies, he also wrote "Experience," "Buddies" and "everywoman," three of the outstanding stage hits of a generation ago. Hobart had come to Cumberland as a young telegraph operator, worked awhile for Western Union and then became the telegraph man at various times on the News and Times. Turning to newspaper work and writing, he ventured on to New York and there became the most successful playwright of that day. He was only 58 when he died and his request was that he be buried in Cumberland, "where I spent my happiest years." He died February 2, 1926.

In the century of Rose Hill Cemetery's existence, the present population of Cumberland has been buried there, approximately 40,000 people, according to George W. Landis, present superintendent.

Headstones of James Cheston Lynn and Mary Galloway Lynn

Commemorative Plaque for David Lynn II